Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Blogging for Dummies

As I mentioned previously, I've been taking an online Blog Triage class from Alyson Stanfield and Cynthia Morris. Not only have I found myself way over my head, but I realized the blog I wrote last summer about my mother-in-law's dementia could have been much more successful had I known some of what I'm learning in this class.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't ever have written it if I had to mess with all of this technical stuff. It would have been too intimidating and I most likely would have given up in frustration. As it was, I just started writing and it worked. The problem was that no one outside my friends, family and colleagues read it because I didn't know how to play the tech game - more to the point - I didn't even know it existed. I knew nothing of hyperlinks, RSS feed, links to Facebook or my website. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and that's what I have currently when it comes to promoting a blog. The writing part comes easily.

7 comments:

  1. The title of this post is making me laugh, but I don't think you are a dummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, unless we are youngsters with few responsibilities and a lot of free time, it is gonna take a long period of time to learn it all. And then... we'll NEVER learn it all because more will come along! I am going to slowly improve my other non-art blog according to what we are learning in the triage class. You could do the same for the dementia blog. No reason to let it languish in cyberspace! It could prove helpful to a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to just say this Julie, your blog has a lightness and feels so fresh! So different than the blog I saw at the beginning of the class.
    Perhaps this is the real Julie Blackman? :-). Beautiful work! - hls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I think the way you did your other blog is perfect. I love blogging for the way it gives a structure and a focus for people to write. Short, focused posts over time help us build our writing skills.
    That you even had a readership is a bonus.
    Now, you're doing the work of learning the back end stuff. This will only help you more.
    Perhaps think of your blog as another great form of expression, done primarily for your growth as an artist. With the help of the tech stuff you're learning, the readers will follow.
    I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, all for your support and comments. I agree, Cynthia, that now I'm learning the back end stuff. I know if I keep at it, it will come together. Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie...funny thing that on the main post there is a big fat zero in the number of comments spot but when I got here you had company.

    I really love your header 'Art in the Making'...brilliantly succinct....now how did you get the font to be that size...I can't seem to enlarge my by line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie
    thanks so much for your candid and intimate comment on my blog post about my studio in the high security lock-up ward.

    I am sobered by the thought of that being part of your storyline... scared sacred scarring.

    I am so pleased that our paths have crossed and look forward to our visits here in blogland as... on we go.

    Metta,
    Iona

    ReplyDelete